With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for all accounts payable recording, reporting, and disbursements, paying particular attention to employee expense reports, credit card reports, payable accounts and disbursements. As part of the financial management team, she/he participates in the ongoing documentation and analysis of Environmental Defense Fund’s finances as well as the implementation of overall policies and procedures. She/he will report to the Accounts Payable Manager.
- Verify approval on all invoices and expense reports.
- Verify expenses are coded correctly by analyzing invoice/expense reports.
- Review contracts to ensure that payments conform with agreed upon amount.
- Reconcile AMEX/expense report amounts against supporting documents such as receipts and invoices to ensure they meet company expensing policies prior to granting approval for processing.
- Prepare and review journal entries, general ledger reconciliations, and several account analyses, including inter-company accounts and quarterly cost allocations.
- Provide support to Finance Team during audits.
- Reconcile Grants Payable records each month.
- Provide assistance in arranging the IRS Form 1099 for all required vendors.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- 4-year degree required, Accounting preferred.
- At least two years’ work experience in Accounts Payable required.
- Knowledge of financial accounting standards and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and to multi-task.
- Attention to detail, accuracy is imperative.
- Able to meet deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to be an effective team member and display initiative.
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel.
- Microsoft Dynamics (Great Plains) and Concur experience a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply