With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Accounting Manager for the Environmental Defense Fund, Inc. (“EDF”), in consultation with other financial managers affiliated with individual legal entities of EDF, and members of financial operations, is responsible for developing, implementing and ensuring compliance with sound and prudent financial and accounting policies and practices for certain wholly owned subsidiaries of the EDF: MethaneSAT, LLC, SATMgmt, LLC, and for leading the global consolidations and eliminations processes. Compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and with the goals of the Environmental Defense Fund and its subsidiaries are also key and fully expected. The Accounting Manager will work closely with programs, regions, and departments to ensure reports and information unique to these areas can be readily produced in a timely and reliable manner. The Accounting Manager reports to the Senior Accounting Manager.
Project Accounting & Finance
- As an employee of the Environmental Defense Fund, Inc., you will assist with the MethaneSAT Project, which includes MethaneSAT, LLC and SATMgmt, LLC, two wholly owned subsidiaries of the Environmental Defense Fund, Inc.
- Assume ownership of the MethaneSAT finance & accounting policy & procedure documentation on behalf of EDF.
- Maintain and refresh for changes in scope and methods of support provided by Finance, payroll, T&E, etc. which can impact financials and closing policies and procedures.
- Develop and reliably deliver cash reporting unique to MethaneSAT which will include both:
- Internal reporting to monitor key cash balances, pledges receivable performance, and operating expenditures.
- External donor reporting to reflect appropriate project execution and cash outlay portrayed in standard, expected Financial formats familiar to sophisticated external financial donors and institutions.
- Manage adequate entity cash levels and perform regular cash reporting to senior management by working closely with treasury / banking team members.
- Partner with MethaneSAT financial operations to ensure access to the right information so they can carry out appropriate ongoing operational monitoring for the entities, project budgets and forecasts.
- Act as the Finance leader for EDF for all things MethaneSAT to ensure the organization has clear and accurate figures and as the right financial knowledge in order to avoid operational and financial surprises considering intrinsic complexities of the project.
- Vigilantly monitor to identify and resolve compliance, financial, process, and/or cash discrepancies.
- Partner with Development to reconcile and analyze revenue projections, pledge receivables and to provide leadership on reporting to Donors
- Perform the accounting and reporting of capital expenditures.
- Perform required closing accounting entries, Prepare GAAP and operational financial statements.
- Analyze monthly variance of performance vs. prior year and vs. budget performance and report on those to operating leadership and finance routinely.
- Prepare monthly forecasts and support annual budget processes, particularly on financial aspects unique to MethaneSAT, within EDF.
- Assist in the preparation of schedules related to the annual audit process and in preparation as required for annual tax filing requirements.
Cross Entity and Global Consolidations Accounting Manager
- Lead the Company in its pursuit of increased global consistency, increased automation, adoption of best practices and increased accuracy where possible in the Company’s general ledger accounting and reporting processes.
- Review, update as necessary, and ensure compliance with the Company’s International Intercompany Accounting Policy, provide training and oversee/approve changes to policy.
- Clarify and strengthen the principle of ledger of record, particularly considering uncertain timelines and sequences of transitions from today’s Great Plains general ledger platform to the long term, cloud-based Oracle NetSuite Enterprise Resource Planning platform.
- This includes but is not limited to ensuring all entries required in a balance/entry is made first/only into that local (distributed) ledger and is then consolidated via an identical/repeatable process and that no entries are made centrally which create disconnects between local ledger outcomes and EDF’s consolidated ledgers.
- Additionally, this means introducing new structures providing appropriate additional space by creating, for example, A) a local GAAP ledger separate from plus B) an adjusting ledger to bridge from local GAAP to US GAAP and that this combines (A+B) and works seamlessly across local and reporting currencies and gets consolidated so global US consolidations can be readily stated and understood
- Provide guidance to regional accounting teams on proper operational accounting processes.
- This includes demonstrating, measuring, and monitoring that all transactions are journalized correctly, the first time (eliminating re-bookings), and consistently with full Chart of Account (COA) codes in order to provide maximum global transparency in the form of common, timely, and flexible reporting.
- This also includes ensuring globally consistent, standardized reporting is created and accessible for all participants globally.
- Perform month-end global consolidation process, including but not limited to:
- Entering monthly reporting packages into the general ledger
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations and roll forwards for major accounts
- Analyzing financials for significant fluctuations and proper reporting presentation
- Assist in audit process through the preparation of schedules and communications with internal and external auditors for foreign entities.
- Assist in development, standardization and routine delivery of annual Tax filing information as relevant.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- CPA required.
- 4-6 years of related work experience in accounting and financial operations.
- Experience includes 4 years of related work managing in accounting and financial operations;
- Audit experience a strong plus.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
- Knowledge of financial accounting standards and procedures.
- Track record demonstrating sound judgment, integrity and ethics.
- An individual with strong character who can quickly gain the trust of others.
- Ability to problem solve and work independently, handling and prioritizing multiple time-sensitive projects with a firm commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Takes initiative actively engaging with all levels of staff and across all programs/departments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated success experience in non-US, global culture(s) for work/life as a key aspect of the role is to work closely with many and growing legal and programmatic presence outside the US.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply