As EDF’s Regulatory Attorney, Raya Salter leads the organization’s smart power efforts in California, Illinois, New York and New Jersey, including engaging in smart grid and other energy-related state public utility commission proceedings and creating relationships with industry, regulators, policy makers, opinion leaders and other NGOs. She also works on innovations in utility business models.
Prior to joining Environmental Defense Fund, Raya worked as a regulatory attorney at the law firm of Dewey & LeBoeuf in New York City, representing energy industry participants in matters relating to regulation by state public utility commissions and federal agencies, transactions involving energy assets, participation in organized electric markets and the inter and intra-state transmission of electric energy. Raya also has experience representing lenders, private equity sponsors and corporate borrowers in connection with domestic and international lending transactions. She has published several policy papers for the Galvin Electricity Initiative on smart grid regulation and competition.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Raya served as the Manager of Community Technology and Education for the Greyston Foundation, a community service provider located in Yonkers, NY. There she founded a community technology center located in supported housing for the formerly homeless and designed integrated technology learning programs for youth and adults, including after school enrichment, welfare-to-work training, pre-k technology and skill sessions for adults living with HIV and AIDS.
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- B.A., Economics, Wesleyan University
Bar and Court Admissions
- Bar: State of New York
- "Smart Grid Competition: A Policy Paper" prepared for the Galvin Electricity Initiative, July, 2011 (with Ashley Brown and Steven Levitsky)
- "Can Smart Grid Technology Fix the Disconnect Between Wholesale and Retail Pricing?" The Electricity Journal, Vol. 24, Issue 1, July, 2011 (with Ashley Brown)
- "Smart Grid Issues in State Law and Regulation," a white paper for the Galvin Electricity Initiative, September, 2010 (with Ashley Brown)
- Contributor, "Regulatory Treatment of Nonutility Functions," Regulation of the Gas Industry, 2009