Douglas N. Rader
Chief Oceans Scientist
Areas of expertise: Oceans Programs, Latin America & the Caribbean, marine protected areas, renewing fisheries
Douglas Rader advises EDF leadership on the scientific aspects of policies and programs affecting oceans. He works with national and regional teams to leverage cutting-edge science in current Oceans Program projects and emerging ocean issues.
His efforts include stronger fisheries management policies and programs that align conservation with the business of fishing, improved coastal habitat protection programs, and science-based networks of marine protected areas.
Ph.D., Biology, University of North Carolina;
M.S., Zoology, University of Washington.
- Chair, South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council Habitat and Environmental Protection Advisory Panel
- Member, South Atlantic Fishery Management Council Marine Protected Area Advisory Panel
- Member, Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council
- Chair, North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission Habitat and Water Quality Standing Advisory Committee Planning and Permits Subcommittee
- Member, North Carolina River Herring Advisory Committee
- Member, Warren Wilson Environmental Leadership Center Advisory Council