(Washington, D.C. – July 25, 2013) Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new TV ad campaign to thank the U.S. Senators who put public health ahead of politics, and voted to confirm Gina McCarthy as the new Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Political squabbling in the Senate delayed the vote on McCarthy for 136 days, even though she was widely viewed as an exceptionally qualified nominee with a well-earned reputation for bipartisanship. She was finally confirmed last week by vote of a 59 to 40.
“EPA needs a strong leader to ensure that Americans have the cleanest air and the healthiest environment possible,” said EDF’s Keith Gaby. “Thanks to Senators who were focused on public health instead of politics, we now have that strong leader. With Gina McCarthy’s confirmation, we can get to work solving the critical issues we face – from climate change to the need for cleaner air.”
The 30-second ads will run in six states: Arizona, Arkansas, Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, and Tennessee. A version thanking Senators who voted to confirm Gina McCarthy will run in the Washington D.C. TV market.
You can see the 30-second ads by clicking on these links:
- Thank You Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
- Thank You Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
- Thank You Senator Susan Collins (R-ME)
- Thank You Senator Bob Corker (R-TN)
- Thank You Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
- Thank You Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC)
- Thank You Senator Angus King (I-ME)
- Thank You Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
- Thank you Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR)
- Thank You Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)