Sr. Assistant, Health Program
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Environmental Health Program is committed to improving the public’s health by dramatically reducing exposure to toxic chemicals increasingly linked to chronic disease risks that are rising in the U.S. population. We work on a range of legislative, regulatory, scientific and market-oriented projects aimed at improving chemical safety. The Health Sr. Assistant will report directly to the Program Director and will work closely with all program staff. This position includes a combination of administrative and programmatic support, and demands a highly-motivated, problem-solving individual who pays close attention to detail and displays excellent oral, written and inter-personal skills.
- Support Health team with tracking deliverables
- Provide administrative support including: maintaining calendars, scheduling and organizing meetings and conference calls, submitting expense reports and assisting with travel planning
- Administer contracts for consultants, provide assistance in drafting contracts, and work with EDF’s Finance Department to ensure payments of contracts and with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled
- Assist with coordination and monitoring of the Health Program budget
- Ensure adequate preparation for each meeting including agendas, background information, deliverables, etc.
- Assist in preparation of work products including: conducting background research, preparing summary documents, presentations, and proofreading documents
- Assist staff in social media engagement campaigns, blogging and partnership outreach
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-3 years of relevant experience in a similar position preferred
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other software applications
- Experience with budgeting, accounting and/or bookkeeping preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface well with all programs/departments in the organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be well organized and self-motivated
- Research, analytical, and writing skills required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various problems, and prioritize work
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting and also to work independently with minimal supervision
- Position requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy. Must be comfortable handling confidential and sensitive information
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Interest and/or experience in environmental health preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish and English preferred
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity EmployerApply