Prospect Research Associate
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Prospect Research Associate researches, analyzes, and recommends strategy for new prospects and for new opportunities with existing donors and prospects, with a focus on both Foundation and Major Gift opportunities (both in the US and internationally).
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships and analysis thereof.
- Identifies/maps relationships of volunteers and deeply engaged donors for the purpose of identifying new prospects.
- Examines results of wealth and philanthropy screenings of Membership donors to identify those with potential to make major gifts.
- Identifies potential foundation prospects from external sources including Foundation Directory Online and Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- Identifies potential major gift prospects from external sources including the Eco-Rich List, lists of top players in key industries from which significant opportunities for support have been identified, annual reports from organizations with like programmatic focus areas, etc.
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to qualify the viability of prospects suggested by staff and volunteers.
- Identifies and assesses viability of new opportunities for government grants.
- Manages Research & Analysis Department’s internal resource library.
- Candidates will have a BA and preferably 2 years of experience in Prospect Research or experience analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data. Previous experience with LexisNexis, NOZA, Blackbaud ResearchPoint and Hoovers a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment to identify and solve problems a must. Ability to maintain confidentiality also crucial.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer