With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Reporting to EDF’s Editor-in-Chief, the Editorial Manager performs high-level writing and editing duties across a range of platforms, including print and online, and works closely with the Digital Content Strategy team to cultivate and publish blog posts that engage our target audiences. The ideal candidate will be located in the New York office, but all qualified candidates will be considered.
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in overseeing Solutions and the Annual Report: Work closely with writers, designers and program staff to improve copy and layouts, including rewriting, editing and display type
- Edit the flagship EDF Voices blog; collaborate with our social media and program specialists to identify areas of opportunity based on current events and news; trends in online interest and discussion; ongoing membership communication campaigns; and other opportunities to elevate EDF’s work and voice
- Work with EDF leadership and program Communication Directors to identify strategic opportunities and needs based on priority topic areas and communication strategies
- Solicit ideas from program staff and cultivate writers who can develop an online following; assist them in choosing topics and creating posts
- Identify and cultivate strong blog author “personalities” within programs
- Edit written submissions to connect with our target readers online while driving program goals and maintaining a distinctive individual voice
- Work with WebTeam to identify and develop accompanying visuals (graphics, photos, videos, and other embedded interactive formats)
- Continuously synthesize result metrics to improve “stickiness” and repeat visits
- Ensure that posts get written, laid out, published and publicized in a timely and effective manner in accordance with the Publishing Strategy
- Supervise and mentor a part-time assistant editor
- Help identify and excerpt blog and other online content submissions for Solutions, EDF’s quarterly print newsletter magazine
- Evangelize the blog throughout the organization: Maintain continuous communication with Communication Directors and key program personnel to explore a regular stream of potential blogging ideas
- Help envision story and other feature ideas for print publications such as Solutions, the Annual Report, and other periodic membership collateral
- At least 5 years as a writer and editor for a blog, publication, or other major producer of content, with at least 2 years of that professional experience focusing on online writing/editing
- Experience cultivating a brand voice or voices; working knowledge of marketing strategies
- Familiarity with major online channels and social media platforms; experience writing / editing targeted promotions for specific media outlets
- Proven experience transforming complex intellectual, scientific, or academic material into compelling stories
- Experience editing photos / developing editorial graphics and infographics
- Hands-on experience working directly in a CMS platform helpful, but not required with the ability to learn a CMS quickly
- Ability to work quickly, collaboratively, and responsively
- Working knowledge of blogosphere / avid blog reader
- Interest and aptitude for environmental issues a plus, but not a must
- Candidates must be willing to undergo a trial editing and promotional copywriting exercise, to be jointly administered and evaluated by the Creative and Digital Strategy teams.
This position will be located in new York, NY.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer