Environmental Defense Fund is currently looking to hire a Development Assistant within our New York, NY office. The Development Assistant’s primary responsibility will be to support the fundraising work plans and strategies - primarily encompassing but not limited to the Rocky Mountain, Texas, Boston and Southeast regions - created by two Major Gifts Officers, one based in Boulder, the other in New York, NY.
The Development Assistant plays a key role in the daily operations of the Development team, supporting goals of two Major Gifts Officers and performing a broad range of tasks while working with development, program and administrative staff at a more independent level.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage donor database in CommonGround, including maintaining donor records, tracking income, forecasting income projections and producing reports.
- Develop and maintain a familiarity with development officers’ portfolios to track gifts, draft correspondence and handle other items as they arise for the portfolio manager.
- Schedule appointments for officers to meet with donors and prospects. Make travel arrangements for both officers.
- Handle paperwork related to expense reimbursements and credit card payments for both managers.
- Track proposal and report schedules for active and prospective family foundations and individuals.
- Work with the research department to ensure timely execution of research in preparation for donor meetings.
- Assist in meeting preparation for senior staff and donors.
- Assist in preparing for small events, such as luncheons, dinners and symposia.
- Process donor awards and checks.
- Assist in preparing documents, proposals and reports for donors and foundations, including working with program, finance and administrative staff organization-wide.
- Draft donor program reports using existing language; organizing and editing. Solicit and edit program reports from staff.
- Develop and implement workflow methods to enhance efficiency of operations.
- Participate in department-wide initiatives, projects, meetings, retreats and other duties as assigned.
- Assist with fundraising by generating and editing lists suggested by donor communications, coordinating hard copy and electronic mailings, and personalizing as appropriate prospect cultivation strategies.
- Bachelor's degree with relevant experience.
- Experience working with high net worth individuals and foundations. Non profit and development experience highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Willingness to take responsibility for assigned work, seeing it through to completion.
- Disciplined self starter, able to support two directors with different needs and work styles.
- Solid ability to organize tasks and workload for maximum efficiency.
- Attention to detai.
- Ability to manage time effectively, juggling multiple tasks, occasionally under time pressure.
- Proficient in all aspects of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with databases highly desirable, specifically CommonGround or other donor database system.
- Ability to travel as needed.
New York, NY
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer