Assistant Data Analyst
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Membership and Marketing team is focused, well-organized, data-driven, and works toward clear objectives and metrics. We take a user-centered approach, and are known for embracing new ideas long before most nonprofits do. Each year we solicit thousands of donations, host millions of website visits, and help hundreds of thousands of activists communicate with key decision-makers. We enable our donors, activists, and website visitors to be engaged, committed partners who take joy in participating in environmental protection.
The Assistant Data Analyst uses database-query, relationship management, and data manipulation to help EDF communicate more effectively with our supporters. This position will assist the fundraising and advocacy teams by segmenting online subscribers into specific target groups based on sophisticated selection criteria, adding and maintaining records for new and existing supporters, performing data hygiene, creating data exports to support reporting and analysis, and analyzing/recording the performance of campaigns or communications efforts. (S)he will need to be a creative problem solver with solid analytical abilities, an aptitude for learning, and a strong attention to detail. We are seeking an entry level professional with a quantitative background and a strong interest in learning.
- Handle imports and exports of large data sets into and out of our online constituent database. Convio experience a plus.
- Combine data from multiple systems in order to get a full profile of constituent activity
- Use querying logic to group constituents into distinct segments for messaging
- Document processes used to produce queries, reports, and routine analyses
- Work collaboratively with the online and membership teams, IT staff, and consultants
- Assist in the organizing and analyzing of marketing experiments
- Research data hygiene issues
- Manage standard monthly and quarterly reporting
- Strong analytical skills; creative and logical thinker; naturally inquisitive; highly organized
- Solid understanding of Excel and Access or SQL
- Comfortable linking and querying text files with more records than Excel can handle
- Attention to detail
- Ability and interest in spotting data inconsistencies
- Quick learner of technology and data analysis techniques
- Experience with website usage statistics, Google Analytics experience a plus
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to teach oneself techniques
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work independently
This position will be located in Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer