Mercury and Air Toxics case resources
Supporting and opposing briefs filed in four key cases are below.
EPA’s Mercury Standards for Existing Plants
No. 12-1100 and consolidated cases.
EPA’s Mercury and Air Toxics standards applies to 1400 of the largest electric generating units in the United States. Some plants already comply with these standards, EPA’s standard will ensure that all major power plants operating in the U.S. in 2015, or in some cases, 2016 have cleaned up. Briefs arguing to weaken this rule are below:
- Main petitioner brief [PDF]
- Industry-specific brief [PDF]
- Julander Energy brief [PDF]
- EPA brief [PDF]
- Amicus brief: Public health experts and others [PDF]
- Industry brief in defense of mercury standards [PDF]
- States and cities brief in defense of mercury standards [PDF]
- EDF brief, with other NGOs [PDF]
A group of environmental organizations has also argued that EPA should improve its standards to address specific issues. Read their brief [PDF].
Certain industry groups have responded to these arguments. Read their response [PDF].