California's growing green economy
See how implementing AB 32 and going green is paying off
Thousands of companies have benefited from California's decades long leadership on clean energy and energy efficiency. This existing infrastructure of large and small businesses throughout state is providing the products and services needed to fight climate change and secure California’s energy future.
Our array of reports, maps, surveys and interviews tells the story of how AB 32 supports real companies and real people across California involved in energy generation, energy efficiency, transportation, green buildings, and much more.
Reports and resources
- An in-depth study of Los Angeles County using maps of 9 sub-regions showing that areas with the highest climate risk also have high levels of clean energy potential.
- A case study of the growing California biodiesel industry and six companies that are fueling positive change in California with the help of smart policies.
- A report telling the story of both the need and opportunity to invest AB 32 proceeds to address state and local challenges, grow the clean, efficient economy and create jobs in California.
Seven Sectors: Full report [PDF] | Overview [PDF]A report revealing the seven growth sectors driving California's clean and efficient economy.
- December 2008 analysis of employment growth through California's Global Warming Solutions Act.
- Market research from December 2008 shows a positive outlook for a new energy economy.
Faces of green jobs
This short documentary illustrates the breadth and diversity of California's growing green economy.
Video note: Vetrazzo sold its business and moved the production facility to Georgia in the spring of 2010
Growth of the California Biodiesel Industry [PDF]
Smart California policies like the Low Carbon Fuel Standard help alternative fuel industries grow in California, creating jobs and cleaner air while helping the State reach its pollution reduction goals. In 2013 we partnered with E2 to highlight six companies in the growing biodiesel industry in California.
Mapping the green economy
In 2009 we partnered with the leaders of California's green development to map the state's green businesses.
Since then the state's green economy has continued strong growth. We are no longer maintaining the maps. If you are interested in receiving the 2010 data, email Tim O'Connor.