Our mission and values
Environmental Defense Fund’s mission is to preserve the natural systems on which all life depends.
Guided by science and economics, we find practical and lasting solutions to the most serious environmental problems.
What distinguishes Environmental Defense Fund is the combination of what we protect and how we protect it.
We work to solve the most critical environmental problems facing the planet. This has drawn us to areas that span the biosphere: climate, oceans, ecosystems and health. Since these topics are intertwined, our solutions take a multidisciplinary approach. We work in concert with other organizations — as well as with business, government and communities — and avoid duplicating work already being done effectively by others.
Our Core Values
These values allow us to experiment courageously in our work, while staying true to who we've been as an organization over 40 years.
- Results — Create environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world
- Respect — Welcome diverse perspectives, talents and contributions
- Innovation — Design and use a wide range of problem-solving tools
- Optimism — Embrace ambitious environmental goals while taking into account real-world dynamics
- Integrity — Uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action